Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 15:33 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> My point was that this is a difference of _degree_, not of _kind_.

I agree.

Personally, I would ban it all, but total bans require more policing
than allowing some minor cases. We need to be reasonable.

We must find a place to draw the line and then stick to it.

It's clear to me and many others that the case of the Windows installer
link is a step over the line and we (the project) must react. If the
fair way to react is to set the line lower so that more than one company
is effected, that's fine by me, even if it effects me directly.

I don't think it is appropriate for relations with a company to be
handled by project members that are also employees of that company,
whatever the individual involved says. Objectivity is important and we
as a project don't wish to endanger the employee-employer relationship.
Again, this applies to all companies. So I would not ask Alvaro to speak
to his employer, any more than I expect Bruce to be able to deal
effectively with his; neither case is a comment on the individual.