Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
Re: Vote on Windows installer links  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 18:34 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> There has been some discussion about the point that the PostgreSQL web
> site leads people directly to the EDB web site. I have been prompted
> to provide a count of people that find this objectionable, so let's
> call a vote.

I could not understand which problem are you trying to *actually* solve.

EDB is spending bucks for the installers (they have a core member for
maintaining it, if nothing). I have no problem with downloading an
installer which is linked from main page, since I know that I can trust
any link which is in pg.org.

Also, as mentioned before by people in this thread, if we are going to
remove all external links, then you will only have Solaris binaries,
very limited number of RPMs and source code, which are hosted at our ftp
site.

I must say that each month we have ~100-200 (sometimes 400-500) *new*
PostgreSQL installations that are performed using yum repository, which
is maintained by a community member, but whose pay check is signed by a
commercial company for doing that work (+ many other company work, of
course). By removing that link along with EDB's installer and others,
companies *may* lose their interest in supporting such projects.

So, please let's stop voting and let's spend our PostgreSQL time on
moving the project to the future, not to the past.

Sincerely, (JD is on holiday),
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com