Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 09:32 +0200, Gilles wrote:
>         I'm looking for an open-source DBMS that runs on Linux and
> Windows.
> In order to make an informed choice, I would like some feedback on
> the Windows port of PostgreSQL, as compared to MySQL and Firebird (if
> you know of yet other solutions, I'm also interested.)
>
> Is the Windows port on par with the *nix version, and with those
> other alternatives? Apart from the fact that, unlike MySQL,
> PostgreSQL doesn't require buying a license when developping
> commercial applications, are there technical reasons why I should
> choose PostgreSQL instead of MySQL or Firebird?

We get this question a lot. Yes, there are many technical differences
between various open source products.

The list you've mentioned seems to have excluded non-SQL databases such
as BerkeleyDB, and local databases such as SQLite. Both of those are
more heavily deployed than the first 3 you mention. You need to think
about why you have excluded those and yet included projects like
Firebird. If your only selection criteria is "open source DBMS" then it
will be difficult to tell them apart.

I would suggest you to talk to the business and find out what the
requirements are. Also look through the feature list of PostgreSQL and
see if any of those things might be important to you.
http://www.postgresql.org/about/
http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
http://www.postgresql.org/about/awards

Good luck with your selection.