Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1704) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1704)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 14:47 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> It was said upthread that SEPostgres is already packaged for Fedora.

> Yes for but not by, AFAIK it is not actually included with Fedora.

"Included with Fedora" is an extremely loose concept.  You can get it
via "yum install" from the standard Fedora download servers.  I don't
believe it's counted as part of the "PostgreSQL" package group, nor
included in the core distro CD set, but the CD-set approach to
distribution seems to be dying anyway.  There's too much stuff out
there.

However, if we did accept the patch, then the question would immediately
become whether Devrim and I and other packagers for SELinux-capable
distros ought to enable the feature in our builds.  It does not work
to deny responsibility for something by making it a configure option.
You're just putting the hard decision onto packagers, who have no more
knowledge than you do about what their users want, and (probably)
considerably less understanding of the benefits/risks of some new
configure option they happen to notice.