Re: How to implement an auto-increment column for a system catalog table? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: How to implement an auto-increment column for a system catalog table?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 10:18 +0800, Xin Wang wrote:

> I am using Postgres to build the prototype in a research project. I need
> to create a new system catalog table with an auto-increment column. For
> a ordinary table, CREATE SEQUENCE or a serial type can be used to
> implement the auto-increment column, but it seems Postgres do not
> support creating a sequence or serial types in system catalogs. How to
> implement an auto-increment column for a catalog table?

Other catalog tables use a new oid for each new row/entry. Just do it in
the code for adding each new entry. Look at backend/catalog/heap.c
heap_create_with_catalog(), or something simpler like
backend/commands/dbcommands.c createdb().