Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 03:12:02PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I don't think this is correct.
>
> > I do.
>
> > People literally grab my shoulder and ask when we'll have it.
>
> Do these people understand the difference between HS and a complete
> replication solution?  Are they still as excited after you explain
> the difference?

Yes, I think they do.

http://www.postgresql.org/community/survey.55
These people seem to understand also.

Sync rep *is* important, but it opens up new classes of applications for
us. As does SEP. Both of those are more speculative and harder to
measure, but we've seen big impact before from this type of new feature.

HS appeals to current users. Current users aren't so worried about new
applications, they look forward to being able to run queries on their
currently idle standby servers.