Re: Review: B-Tree emulation for GIN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Review: B-Tree emulation for GIN
Date
Re: Review: B-Tree emulation for GIN  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 17:42 +0300, Teodor Sigaev wrote:
> > Unfortunately, that means numeric is not supportable for btree-gin
> > because there is no left-most value from which to start the scan. Do you
> > see an easy workaround to support numeric?
> Hmm, let we use minimal varlena struct (with size equal to VARHDRSZ) as
> left-most (and fake) value. It is never used for any actual argument except
> compare function, so, new compare function is provided. New version of patch is
> attached and it based on on your patch (btree-gin.20090111.patch.gz).

Looks good to me. I updated the CommitFest wiki to point to this patch.

I like the fact that this patch does not modify the numeric ADT. It
still relies on the fact that the numeric type will never make use of
the minimal varlena struct, however. I bring this up in case someone
sees it as a problem.

Thanks,Jeff Davis