Re: Hot standby, slot ids and stuff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Hot standby, slot ids and stuff
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 22:31 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >> When a backend dies with FATAL, it writes an abort record before exiting.
> >>
> >> (I was under the impression it doesn't until few minutes ago myself,
> >> when I actually read the shutdown code :-))
>
> > Not in all cases; keep reading :-)
>
> If it doesn't, that's a bug.  A FATAL exit is not supposed to leave the
> shared state corrupted, it's only supposed to be a forcible session
> termination.  Any open transaction should be rolled back.

Please look back at the earlier discussion we had on this exact point:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-09/msg01809.php

Heikki, perhaps now you understand my continued opposition to your ideas
for simplification: I had already thought of them and was forced to rule
them out, not through my own choice. Tom, note that I listen to what you
say and try to write code that meets those requirements.

>From here, I don't mind which way we go. I want code that is as simple
as possible to "do the job", whatever we agree that to be.