Re: version() output vs. 32/64 bits - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: version() output vs. 32/64 bits
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian píše v st 31. 12. 2008 v 11:22 -0500:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> >
> > > Maybe we should separate all that, e.g.,
> >
> > > SELECT version();    => 'PostgreSQL 8.4devel'
> > > SELECT pg_host_os();    => 'bsdi4.3.1'
> > > SELECT pg_host_cpu();    => 'i386' (although this is still faulty, as per my
> > > original argument; needs some thought)
> > > SELECT pg_compiler();    => 'GCC 2.95.3'
> > > SELECT pg_pointer_size(); => 4 (or 32) (this could also be a SHOW variable)
> >
> > Seems like serious overkill.  No one has asked for access to individual
> > components of the version string, other than the PG version number
> > itself, which we already dealt with.
> >
> > I didn't actually see a user request for finding out the pointer width,
> > either, but if there is one then Bruce's proposal seems fine.
>
> It is true no one asked for this information except Peter (I assume for
> just academic reasons), and I don't think we care from a bug reporting
> perspective, so I will just keep the patch around in case we ever want it.

I'm sorry for late response, I was offline for last week. Current
Solaris packages use 32/64bit information. See following output:

postgres=# select version();

version
oni386-pc-solaris2.11, compiled

by /opt/SUNWspro.40/SS12/bin/cc -Xa

The information about 32/64bit is important, because both versions are
available, but for some reason they not have same features enabled (e.g.
PL/pgPerl is not in 64bit version). These difference are described in
the special man page and users need to easily determine which version is
running.
Zdenek