Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report
Date
Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report  (Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be>)
Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Gavin Sherry wrote:
>> I don't think we should listen on IPv6 just because it is supported. It
>> should be a configuration variable:
>>
>> tcpip_socket = true
>> ipv6 = true

> We had a huge discussion on this.  I think you were away for it.  You
> can control what you listen on by modifying pg_hba.conf.

Can you actually control whether the postmaster is listening by
modifying pg_hba.conf?  I don't think so.

I think I was the one who talked us into assuming that ipv4 and ipv6
should be treated as a single protocol.  But some people have since made
pretty good cases that it's better to regard them as separate protocols.
Perhaps we should rethink that decision.