Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date
Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard  ("Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:20 -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
> > I'm not the sort to be too concerned myself that
> > the guy who thinks he's running a DW on a system with 64MB of RAM might
> > get bad settings, but it's a fair criticism to point that out as a problem.
>
> In defense of thinking about very small configurations, I've seen many
> cases where an enterprise-software salesperson's laptop is running a
> demo - either in a small virtual machine in the laptop, or on an
> overloaded windows box.    Even though the customer might end up
> running with 64GB, the sales demo's more likely to be 64MB.

Although I get your point, that is a job for sqllite not postgresql.
PostgreSQL is not a end all be all solution and it is definitely not
designed to be "embedded" which is essentially what you are suggesting
with that kind of configuration.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL