Re: Encryption of .pgpass - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Encryption of .pgpass
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito@guitar.ocn.ne.jp> writes:
> I may be quite persistent.:-)
> I seasoned the proposal method. It was very painful that the
> conventional connection method to this password was a plain text.
> Although I am simple, I desire the support. Furthermore, the relation
> between a field item and an environment variable is complicated.

What is the point of this?  It seems to be complicating life to little
purpose (except storing passwords that will fail in non-MD5 password
methods --- given that people are talking about replacing MD5, that
doesn't seem like a good forward-looking idea).

            regards, tom lane