Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:36 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >> While clearly useful, it'd still leave the fairly large foot-gun that is
> >> editing the hba file and HUPing things which can leave you with a
> >> completely un-connectable database because of a small typo.
> >
> > That will *always* be possible, just because software is finite and
> > human foolishness is not ;-).
>
> Certainly - been bitten by that more than once. But we can make it
> harder or easier to make the mistakes..

Yeah. I'm sure we've all done it.

Would it be possible to have two config files? An old and a new?

That way we could specify new file, but if an error is found we revert
to the last known-good file?

That would encourage the best practice of take-a-copy-then-edit.