Re: Automatic Client Failover - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Automatic Client Failover
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:08 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> When primary server fails, it would be good if the clients connected to
> the primary knew to reconnect to the standby servers automatically.
>
> We might want to specify that centrally and then send the redirection
> address to the client when it connects. Sounds like lots of work though.

One way to do it is _outside_ of client, by having a separately managed
subnet for logical DB addresses. So when a failover occurs, then you
move that logical DB address to the new host, flush ARP caches and just
reconnect.

This also solves the case of inadvertent failover in case of unrelated
network failure.