Re: pg_dump additional options for performance - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date
List pgsql-patches
> > On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 19:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> The key problem is that pg_restore is broken:
>
> > The key capability here is being able to split the dump into multiple
> > pieces. The equivalent capability on restore is *not* required, because
> > once the dump has been split the restore never needs to be.
>
> This argument is nonsense.
> The typical usage of this capability, IMHO, will be

Arghh! That's not my stated use case!?#*!

I want to dump tables separately for performance reasons. There are
documented tests showing 100% gains using this method. There is no gain
adding this to pg_restore. There is a gain to be had - parallelising
index creation, but this patch doesn't provide parallelisation.

Anyway, clearly time for me to stop and have a break.