Re: Limits of backwards compatibility for psql's \d commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Limits of backwards compatibility for psql's \d commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 18:39 -0500, Decibel! wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2008, at 1:23 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >> EOL is EOL, why is the question even being asked?
> >
> > Well, pg_dump still supports servers back to 7.0 (and yes I do test
> > that
> > now and again).  psql probably doesn't need to support interactive
> > query
> > operations quite so far back, but I think the boundary of what's
> > needed
> > is pretty squishy.  Hence my query about what people really want.
>

> Being able to get your data out of 7.3 is a lot more important than
> \d commands... :)

It may seem peculiar but I would consider adding support for \d commands
to 8.4 for 7.3 a feature for 7.3 not 8.4. Let's stick with upgrade
support on that one, not backward compatibility :)

Joshua D. Drake