Re: .psqlrc output for \pset commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: .psqlrc output for \pset commands
Date
Re: .psqlrc output for \pset commands  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 19:24 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Is this desirable?  \set QUIET at the top of .psqlrc fixes it, but I am
> wondering if we should be automatically doing quiet while .psqlrc is
> processed.

There is some precedent for not emitting the messages: most Unix tools
don't echo the results of applying their .rc files at startup.
Personally, I run psql frequently but very rarely modify my .psqlrc, so
seeing "timing is on" and similar messages echoed to the screen is
almost always noise.

-Neil