Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 09:13 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > I agree with that assessment. I don't think it's a desirable or
> > unchangeable outcome, which is why I initially refused to attend the
> > recent EnterpriseDB-sponsored developer meeting unless Greenplum people
> > were also invited. I would like to see people encourage their
> > participation. When the project allowed one company to sponsor the
> > meeting it made a huge error, especially when the project had no need
> > for the funding. It sent the wrong message and I noted that Truviso were
> > not represented either, on the day.
>
> Both Greenplum and Truvisio had people invited, and if you recall when
> organising the meeting I repeatedly asked everyone to point out if I'd
> missed anyone. My primary concern when inviting people was to invite
> the most highly active developers. Secondary to that, I made a point
> of inviting at least one senior person from each of the major
> PostgreSQL contributing companies, including both of those
> organisations. *No* companies were intentionally excluded, and I
> assure you that except where funding was concerned, the meeting was
> organised entirely with my core hat on.
>
> EDB paid for the lunch and the room, largely because when considering
> holding another community meeting in NJ (as you've previously
> attended), Denis and I figured that a much more open meeting would be
> more useful to everyone, so I set about to organise exactly that.
>
> If you wish to 'right the wrong' that you see, then next year 2nd
> Quadrant are more than welcome to pay for the food and conference
> room, and I will continue to organise the event. I really don't care
> who pays for the chairs and sandwiches.

First of all, thank you for organising. Everything went well. I believe
you did all you personally could to make that a success. I have no
criticism of you.

I have further points to make, but my replies will be delayed for many
hours yet since I am busy this morning.