Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Davy Durham
Subject Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression
Date
Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 20:53 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Davy Durham (pubaddr5@davyandbeth.com) wrote:
> > The code is not all that much to maintain as it is, and making it an
> > addition to an existing parameter instead of a new one may not increase
> > the code size by much more at all.
>
> I'm generally in favor of 'creature-comfort' kind of additions, but I
> have to agree with Tom on this one.  I don't see much of a use case, and
> it's trivial to create a shell-script to do what you're looking for with
> psql and COPY statements.

To reiterate, it is not possible to use the COPY command to create
standard SQL INSERT statements that can be conveniently loaded by
another db. No?