Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression
Date
List pgsql-patches
Davy Durham <pubaddr5@davyandbeth.com> writes:
> To reiterate, it is not possible to use the COPY command to create
> standard SQL INSERT statements that can be conveniently loaded by
> another db. No?

Fair point, but the question here is about how useful this incremental
feature really is compared to its incremental maintenance cost.
It is *possible* to achieve what you want without any pg_dump
changes: create a fresh table via
    CREATE TABLE tmp_table AS SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE ...
and then pg_dump that.  So the issue is how often does this problem
come up and is it worth maintaining more code to make it a bit
easier to deal with?  My thought is probably not, and that seems
to be the majority opinion so far.

            regards, tom lane