Re: triggers on prepare, commit, rollback... ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: triggers on prepare, commit, rollback... ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> >> This is a sufficiently frequently asked question that I wish someone
> >> would add an entry to the FAQ about it, or add it to the TODO list's
> >> "Features we don't want" section.
>
> > OK, remind me why we don't want it again?
>
> I'm sure I've ranted on this several times before, but a quick archive
> search doesn't find anything.  So, here are a few points to chew on:
>
> * Trigger on rollback: what's that supposed to do?

Tell others that this trx failed, maybe log a failure ?

OTOH, this can be implemented by a daemon that sits on
"tail -f logfile | grep ROLLBACK"

> The current
> transaction is already aborted, so the trigger has no hope of making any
> database changes that will ever be visible to anyone.

after reading your explanations trigger on rollback/failure is the only
one what makes sense still, but it may be that after failure it does not
have enough state usable to report anything useful.

Hannu