Re: Storing images as BYTEA or large objects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Koen Vermeer
Subject Re: Storing images as BYTEA or large objects
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 21:14 -0600, Andy Colson wrote:
> Having used the large objects, I can tell you they do backup (pg_dump,
> etc) and they are not hard to use.  There is even a contrib that helps
> you hook them up to a table so they get deleted/etc at appropriate times
> (I have not used it though so not sure 100%)  (they were easy enough to
> use even without the contrib).

In my case, I do not really worry about cleaning them up, as I expect
not to delete the objects (or only very rarely) anyway. But it's good to
know (I hope I still remember it in a few months) that there is a
contrib that handles this.

> The only reason I used lo was to avoid the escaping.  I'm not sure how
> slow escaping a 20 meg file would be, but it just sounded slow.  And you
> have to do it twice, once to send it, and once when you get it back.

I thought about that too, and didn't find conclusive arguments to choose
one or the other. So I decided to just ask, but the jury is still out...

Best,
Koen