Re: Why are we waiting? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Staale Smedseng
Subject Re: Why are we waiting?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> What is the frequency distribution of lock wait time on ProcArrayLock?

See below for wait time distributions for ProcArrayLock (both shared and
exclusive). The time measured is from entry into LWLockAcquire() until
return. I've recorded the same data in two different resolutions (ms,
and us for the lower part of the distribution). The DTrace script is at
the bottom.

These results are for 1000 TPC-C like clients, and measured over the
1000 PostgreSQL processes over a period of 10 seconds.

> Does the distribution vary over time?

Hmm... I will have to get back to you on that one.

Staale

CPU     ID                    FUNCTION:NAME 6  71245                      :tick-10sec
 Total LW_EXCLUSIVE                                            25178 Total Transaction Starts
          25679 Total LW_SHARED                                              107211 LW_SHARED [ms]
                       value  ------------- Distribution ------------- count                < 0 |
                 0                      0 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@   100565                10 |
                              1                     20 |                                         0
30|                                         0                     40 |                                         0
            50 |                                         0                     60 |
   0                     70 |                                         6                     80 |
                304                   90 |@                                        1370                 100 |@
                             2685                 110 |@                                        1731
120|                                         307                  130 |                                         13
            140 |                                         0                    150 |
    0                    160 |                                         5                    170 |
                 4                    180 |                                         26                   190 |
                              36                   200 |                                         24
210|                                         61                   220 |                                         49
            230 |                                         15                   240 |
    0                    250 |                                         0                    260 |
                 0                    270 |                                         0                    280 |
                              2                    290 |                                         2
300|                                         0                    310 |                                         2
            320 |                                         1                    330 |
    1                    340 |                                         0                    350 |
                 0                    360 |                                         0                    370 |
                              0                    380 |                                         0
390|                                         0                    400 |                                         1
            410 |                                         0

 LW_EXCLUSIVE [ms]                                           value  ------------- Distribution ------------- count
         < 0 |                                         0                      0 |@@
 1565                  10 |                                         0                     20 |
              0                     30 |                                         0                     40 |
                           0                     50 |                                         0                     60
|                                        0                     70 |                                         16
         80 |@                                        894                   90 |@@@@@@@
4108                 100 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@                            8090                 110 |@@@@@@@@
             4863                 120 |@                                        595                  130 |
                          64                   140 |                                         14                   150 |
                                       0                    160 |                                         4
      170 |                                         93                   180 |
262                 190 |@                                        549                  200 |@
            854                  210 |@@                                       976                  220 |@
                         770                  230 |                                         268                  240 |
                                      40                   250 |                                         2
     260 |                                         9                    270 |
29                  280 |                                         46                   290 |
            94                   300 |                                         134                  310 |
                         169                  320 |                                         164                  330 |
                                      146                  340 |                                         94
     350 |                                         13                   360 |                                         2
                  370 |                                         8                    380 |
          15                   390 |                                         17                   400 |
                       20                   410 |                                         37                   420 |
                                    27                   430 |                                         32
   440 |                                         29                   450 |                                         8
                460 |                                         4                    470 |
        2                    480 |                                         1                    490 |
                     3                 >= 500 |                                         48

 LW_SHARED [us]                                              value  ------------- Distribution ------------- count
           0 |                                         0                     10 |
 39                    20 |@@@@@@@@@@@@                             31038                 30 |@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
              66010                 40 |@                                        2409                  50 |
                           103                   60 |                                         145                   70
|                                        85                    80 |                                         68
         90 |                                         57                   100 |
40                   110 |                                         33                   120 |
             37                   130 |                                         24                   140 |
                          15                   150 |                                         35                   160 |
                                       26                   170 |                                         35
      180 |                                         24                   190 |
16                  200 |                                         12                   210 |
            13                   220 |                                         13                   230 |
                         8                    240 |                                         9                    250 |
                                      3                    260 |                                         4
     270 |                                         3                    280 |                                         2
                  290 |                                         4                    300 |
          3                    310 |                                         3                    320 |
                       3                    330 |                                         2                    340 |
                                    0                    350 |                                         1
   360 |                                         2                    370 |                                         0
                380 |                                         0                    390 |
        2                    400 |                                         1                    410 |
                     2                    420 |                                         0                    430 |
                                  0                    440 |                                         1
 450 |                                         0                    460 |                                         5
              470 |                                         1                    480 |
      1                    490 |                                         4                    500 |
                   6                    510 |                                         1                    520 |
                                1                    530 |                                         0
540|                                         1                    550 |                                         1
            560 |                                         2                    570 |
    0                    580 |                                         0                    590 |
                 0                    600 |                                         0                    610 |
                              1                    620 |                                         0
630|                                         0                    640 |                                         0
            650 |                                         0                    660 |
    0                    670 |                                         1                    680 |
                 0                    690 |                                         2                    700 |
                              1                    710 |                                         1
720|                                         3                    730 |                                         0
            740 |                                         1                    750 |
    0                    760 |                                         0                    770 |
                 0                    780 |                                         0                    790 |
                              0                    800 |                                         0
810|                                         0                    820 |                                         0
            830 |                                         0                    840 |
    0                    850 |                                         0                    860 |
                 1                    870 |                                         0                    880 |
                              0                    890 |                                         0
900|                                         0                    910 |                                         0
            920 |                                         1                    930 |
    0                    940 |                                         0                    950 |
                 2                    960 |                                         0                    970 |
                              0                    980 |                                         1
990|                                         0                >= 1000 |@@@                                      6843

 LW_EXCLUSIVE [us]                                           value  ------------- Distribution ------------- count
          10 |                                         0                     20 |@
 357                   30 |@@                                       1166                  40 |
              35                    50 |                                         1                     60 |
                           1                     70 |                                         1                     80
|                                        1                     90 |                                         0
        100 |                                         0                    110 |
0                    120 |                                         0                    130 |
             1                    140 |                                         0                    150 |
                          0                    160 |                                         0                    170 |
                                       0                    180 |                                         0
      190 |                                         0                    200 |
0                   210 |                                         0                    220 |
            0                    230 |                                         0                    240 |
                         0                    250 |                                         0                    260 |
                                      0                    270 |                                         0
     280 |                                         0                    290 |                                         0
                  300 |                                         0                    310 |
          0                    320 |                                         0                    330 |
                       0                    340 |                                         0                    350 |
                                    0                    360 |                                         0
   370 |                                         0                    380 |                                         0
                390 |                                         0                    400 |
        0                    410 |                                         0                    420 |
                     0                    430 |                                         0                    440 |
                                  0                    450 |                                         0
 460 |                                         0                    470 |                                         0
              480 |                                         0                    490 |
      0                    500 |                                         0                    510 |
                   0                    520 |                                         0                    530 |
                                0                    540 |                                         0
550|                                         0                    560 |                                         0
            570 |                                         0                    580 |
    0                    590 |                                         0                    600 |
                 0                    610 |                                         0                    620 |
                              0                    630 |                                         0
640|                                         0                    650 |                                         0
            660 |                                         0                    670 |
    0                    680 |                                         0                    690 |
                 0                    700 |                                         0                    710 |
                              0                    720 |                                         0
730|                                         0                    740 |                                         0
            750 |                                         0                    760 |
    0                    770 |                                         0                    780 |
                 0                    790 |                                         0                    800 |
                              0                    810 |                                         0
820|                                         0                    830 |                                         0
            840 |                                         0                    850 |
    0                    860 |                                         0                    870 |
                 0                    880 |                                         0                    890 |
                              0                    900 |                                         0
910|                                         0                    920 |                                         0
            930 |                                         0                    940 |
    0                    950 |                                         0                    960 |
                 0                    970 |                                         0                    980 |
                              0                    990 |                                         0                >=
1000|@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@   23615

#!/usr/sbin/dtrace -s

/* * Show ProcArrayLock wait time ** $Id$*/

BEGIN
{       self->ts = 0;
}

tick-10sec
{       exit(0);
}

/** Accumulate average time spent from start of LWLockAcquire()* until return from LWLockAcquire().*/
postgresql$1:::lwlock-acquire-begin
/ arg0 == 4 /
{       self->ts = timestamp;       self->mode = arg1;
}

postgresql$1:::lwlock-acquire-end
/ self->ts /
{       @acqcount[self->mode==0?"Total LW_EXCLUSIVE":"Total LW_SHARED"]            = count();
       /* whole frequency distribution 0-500ms */       @wholedist[self->mode==0?"LW_EXCLUSIVE [ms]":"LW_SHARED [ms]"]
         = lquantize((timestamp - self->ts)/1000000, 0, 500, 10);

       /* the lower part of the distribution in detail 0-1000us */       @lowdist[self->mode==0?"LW_EXCLUSIVE
[us]":"LW_SHARED[us]"]            = lquantize((timestamp - self->ts)/1000, 0, 1000, 10);

       self->ts = 0;
}

postgresql$1:::transaction-start
{       @acqcount["Total Transaction Starts"] = count();