Re: Storage Model for Partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: Storage Model for Partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 11:34 +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> 1. Make an on-disk "chunk" much smaller (e.g. 64MB). Each chunk is a
> contigous range of blocks.
> 2. Make a table-partition (implied or explicit constraints) map to
> multiple "chunks".
> That would reduce fragmentation (you'd have on average 32MB's worth of
> blocks wasted per partition) and allow for stretchy partitions at the
> cost of an extra layer of indirection.

This sounds almost like some kind of "clustering index", where the index
contains ranges pointing to blocks of data... if the same index is also
used for inserting (i.e. the free space map is a partial "cluster index"
on blocks with free space), that would be a coarse clustering solution I
guess...

Cheers,
Csaba.