Re: VLDB Features - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: VLDB Features
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2007-12-15 kell 01:12, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > There's no way we can do a transactionless load, then?  I'm thinking of the
> > load-into-new-partition which is a single pass/fail operation.  Would
> > ignoring individual row errors in for this case still cause these kinds of
> > problems?
>
> Given that COPY fires triggers and runs CHECK constraints, there is no
> part of the system that cannot be exercised during COPY.  So I think
> supposing that we can just deal with some simplified subset of reality
> is mere folly.

But can't we _define_ such a subset, where we can do a transactionless
load ?

I don't think that most DW/VLDB schemas fire complex triggers or custom
data-modifying functions inside CHECK's.

Then we could just run the remaining simple CHECK constraints ourselves
and not abort on non-check, but just log the rows ?

The COPY ... WITH ERRORS TO ... would essentially become a big
conditional RULE through which the incoming data is processed.

Hannu