Re: pg_class changes for group ownership - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_class changes for group ownership
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, yes, but that's no longer the issue.  I guess my thought was that
> if we could get the common id space change in before 8.0 then group
> ownership could possibly be introduced in 8.1 w/o having to do a
> dump/restore.

No chance whatever during RC stage.  We might have listened to such a
proposal in August, but it's not happening now.  Especially not when
you don't even have the patch yet ;-).  (FWIW, given the infrastructure
we have, I don't really see any way to enforce uniqueness except to
merge pg_shadow and pg_group into one table.  So it's not going to be
a trivial change.)

> I'm still relatively new to Postgres, is it normal to
> require a dump/restore between semi-major (8.0 to 8.1) revisions?

Yes.  There have been one or two such revisions that didn't require a
dump, but I doubt 8.1 will be one of them.