Re: New tzdata available - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: New tzdata available
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 02:26 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Plan B would be to take out contracts on all the banana-republic
> >> politicians who think that changing DST laws with a month's notice
> >> is a pleasant pastime.  I fear we lack the resources for that,
> >> unfortunately.
>
> > You're referring to countries like the United States and New Zealand ;-)
>
> Be fair --- the USA did give us a couple years' notice.

Not for the latest changes, IIRC.

> Though I'm
> still prepared to vote against any congresscritter who stands up and
> says that was a good idea.  (I'm still driving a car whose GPS does not
> know about the change, and if any political animal happens to be reading
> this: it is not a good idea to tick off your constituents in the week
> before November elections.)

:-)

> > On a more serious note, we *could* make a simple ZIP file available with
> > files to drop in the timezone directory for such urgent updates, since
> > the majority of users don't need them.
>
> Sure, it's doable if anyone cares that much.  But I think we should
> spend more energy on scheming how not to be involved.

Sure. But how can we do that for a platform that doesn't have compatible
zic files as part of the platform. I know Windows is such, I have no
idea if there are others, but that doesn't change the need to have a
solution for this case.

//Magnus