Re: DB upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Kelly
Subject Re: DB upgrade
Re: DB upgrade  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 13:58 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2007 schrieb Andrew Kelly:
> > Unless my installation is unique in some way of which I'm yet unaware,
>
> Yes, it's a Debian package.

Indeed, yes.

Where can I read what that means in the great scheme of things?
Are you saying that Deb is markedly different from other packages (.rpm)
or that any packaged version of PG is different from the recommended
source install?

> > pg_dump seems to be just a handful of lines in a perl script. In fact,
> > pg_dump, pg_restore and pg_dumpall are all simlinks to the same simple
> > perl script, the contents of which seem to be identical in both my
> > 'older' and 'newer' versions of PG. Does this mean I can trust any old
> > dump from my older server to seamlessly plug into my newer version? Or
> > does thin mean there are other 'gizmos' than pg_dump which I need to
> > copy from new machine to old machine to perform the dump?
>
> The advice remains:  Install the newest client package and use that pg_dump.

[grumble]
I had a remark here about how confused I still was, since my client
package is installed and still only offering the perl wrapper script.
Then, after a 2 hour meeting and getting back to answering this mail, I
kicked my Debian boxes around an bit and found the actual binaries. So,
I think I'm settled now.

Thanks for your input Peter, and you as well, Albe. I really appreciate
it.

Andy