Re: Performance problems with large telemetric datasets on 7.4.2 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ragnar
Subject Re: Performance problems with large telemetric datasets on 7.4.2
List pgsql-performance
On mán, 2007-08-06 at 00:10 -0700, Sven Clement wrote:

> 2007/8/5, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com>:
>
>         I don't remember a bug like that. Where did you read that
>         from?
>
>         --
>           Heikki Linnakangas
>           EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com
>
> Partially I found that one in the PostgreSQL Documentation for the
> 7.x.x versions under the command REINDEX where they claim that you
> should run a reindex under certain circumstances and for my
> comprehension this says that with some access pattern (as ours (major
> writes / one big delete per day)) the index may be corrupted or
> otherwise not really useful.

you are probably talking about index bloat, not corruption.

when that happens, the index consumes more space that needed,
and its effectivity is reduced, but it is not corrupted and does
not cause wrong results.

i believe this is a lot less common now than in the 7.x days

gnari