Re: PSA: Systemd will kill PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PSA: Systemd will kill PostgreSQL
Date
Re: PSA: Systemd will kill PostgreSQL  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Aug 16, 2016 5:11 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Dunno, it was still working the last time I used Fedora for anything much.
>> Admittedly, that was about three years ago.  But the issue would still
>> arise if you prefer "pg_ctl start".

> There are two independent changes AFAIK. One is that whenever a user that
> logged in interactively logs out all their processes are killed, regardless
> of nohup. The other one is the one about shared memory mentioned here. They
> will both independently kill postgres sessions launched manually. Or with
> pg_ctl.

Not sure I believe that --- the cases that have been reported to us
involved postgres processes that were still alive but had had their
SysV semaphore sets deleted out from under them.  Likely the SysV
shmem segments too, but that wouldn't cause any observable effects
for the running cluster.  (It *would* risk breaking the interlock
against starting a new postmaster, I fear.)

It might be that both behaviors exist now but more people know about
how to turn off the killing-processes one.