Re: todo: Hash index creation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: todo: Hash index creation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, E, 2007-07-02 kell 04:27, kirjutas Naz Gassiep:

> I've been warned away from hash indexes before, however I had no idea
> that it's performance was that abysmal that BTREE beat it and I was
> definitely not aware that they were not included in WAL logs. I was told
> it wasn't as good as it could be, but I wasn't told it was pretty much
> an alpha piece of code.
>
> As a result, when creating tables containing large blocks of text I wish
> to index, I've been using HASH as an index method.

If you just wish to have smaller indexes, then you can use functional
btree indexes over text hash, like this:

CREATE INDEX largetextindex on mytable(hashtext(largetext));

and use

SELECT * FROM mytable where hashtext(largetext) = hastext('searchvalue')   and largetext = 'searchvalue'
;

btw, if the real hash indexes don't get fixes soon, maybe we could
redefine hash index to actually mean usage like this and do the rewrites
in parser?