pg_dump not enough space to create a backup FreeBSD 6.1? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject pg_dump not enough space to create a backup FreeBSD 6.1?
Date
Re: pg_dump not enough space to create a backup FreeBSD 6.1?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: pg_dump not enough space to create a backup FreeBSD 6.1?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-admin
Hi,

Running pg_dump on a FreeBSD 6.1 machine gives me:

[root@s13.nedstars.nl:/data/even]# pg_dump -Ft -f ./my_db-2007-5-16.backup -U user my_db

 /tmp: write failed, filesystem is full
pg_dump: [tar archiver] could not write to tar member (wrote 0,
attempted 86)

pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

[root@s13.nedstars.nl:/data/even]# df -h

Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/aacd0s1g    125G    5.8G    109G     5%    /data
/dev/aacd0s1e    484M     86K    445M     0%    /tmp

The database is, when dumped in text format and gzipped, 40 Mb, so I
assume that there is enough space on the /tmp drive to store the temp
files of the pg_dump.

Is that assumption OK? Can I somehow use another partition to store the
temporaray files without changing my /tmp mount?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld