Re: Throttling PostgreSQL's CPU usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Lewis
Subject Re: Throttling PostgreSQL's CPU usage
Date
List pgsql-performance
1. If you go the route of using nice, you might want to run the 3D
front-end at a higher priority instead of running PG at a lower
priority.  That way apache, php and the other parts all run at the same
priority as PG and just the one task that you want to run smoothly is
elevated.

2. You may not even need separate priorities if you're running on Linux
with a recent kernel and you enable the sleep() calls that you would
need anyway for solution #1 to work.  This is because Linux kernels are
getting pretty good nowadays about rewarding tasks with a lot of sleeps,
although there are some further kernel changes still under development
that look even more promising.

-- Mark