Re: Why can't I put a BEFORE EACH ROW trigger on a view? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: Why can't I put a BEFORE EACH ROW trigger on a view?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/24/2007 08:30:21 PM, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
>  How is it that the rules
> can come up with NEW and OLD for a view and why wouldn't
> something be able to give triggers the same data.

Ah, NEW and OLD are only good in the WHERE part
of the rule, which is still in "query land"
country before execution starts.

At this point my ignorance is blinding me.
Couldn't the backend somehow use the SELECT
rule to produce and iterate over what's to
be modified so there'd be something to have
for OLD?  Merge the WHERE part of the query
plan for the modification with the underlying
WHERE part?  Likewise for NEW?

It must do something like that for the WHERE
part of the rule to get NEW and OLD.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein