Re: invalid input syntax for integer: "NULL" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: invalid input syntax for integer: "NULL"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/20/2007 03:45:55 PM, Yonatan Ben-Nes wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to write a PL/pgSQL function which execute an insert, I
> encounter
> a problem when I try to insert NULL value into an integer field.

>  RETURN 'INSERT INTO test (bh) VALUES ('||COALESCE(intornull,
> 'NULL')||')';

> And if I try to change the COALESCE second value at the function to
> NULL
> (instead of 'NULL') it works if a value is being passed to the
> integer field
> but doesn't work if a NULL Is passed:

NULL, without the quotes, is the proper way to write
NULL as a literal value.  When you put quotes around it it's a
string.  So that's why you get a type exception.

COALESCE chooses the first value that's not NULL.  So if you
pass it NULL you may as well not supply the second argument.

You probably want a plpgsql IF statement or a CASE expression.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein