Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: How long should it take to insert 200,000 records?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 01:35, Karen Hill wrote:
> [snip] So far I've been sitting here for about 2 million ms
> waiting for it to complete, and I'm not sure how many inserts postgres
> is doing per second.

One way is to run analyze verbose on the target table and see how many
pages it has, and then do it again 1 minute later and check how many
pages it grew. Then multiply the page increase by the record per page
ratio you can get from the same analyze's output, and you'll get an
estimated growth rate. Of course this will only work if you didn't have
lots of free space in the table to start with... if you do have lots of
free space, you still can estimate the growth based on the analyze
results, but it will be more complicated.

In any case, it would be very nice to have more tools to attach to
running queries and see how they are doing... starting with what exactly
they are doing (are they in RI checks maybe ?), the actual execution
plan they are using, how much they've done from their work... it would
help a lot debugging performance problems.

Cheers,
Csaba.