Re: Using Temporary Tables in postgres functions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mario Splivalo
Subject Re: Using Temporary Tables in postgres functions
List pgsql-sql
> Mario Splivalo <mario.splivalo@mobart.hr> writes:
> > Am I doing something wrong here, or there is no way of using temporary
> > tables within 'sql' written functions?
>
> I believe the problem is that for a SQL function we parse the whole
> function body before executing any of it.  So you'd need to split this
> into two separate functions.

Having two function complicates, a bit, interface between applicaation
and the database. But, then again, If I split it in two functions, then
one with the UPDATE still can't find temp table referenced in other
function, right?

I have no problem writing func1() example in plpgsql, it just seemed to
me that using sql instead of plpgsql (when I actually can use sql) gives
me a little performance improvement.
Mike