Re: Embedding postgresql in my application - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Murray Cumming
Subject Re: Embedding postgresql in my application
List pgsql-interfaces
On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 18:55 +0700, Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:
> Ah--I had not understood that you wanted to access the database
> remotely.
> But in that case, in what sense would the database be "embedded" in
> your
> application!?

It's not the best word, I guess. I just wanted to express that I'd be
using Postgres only for my application, without using the system's
regular Postgres installation/configuration.

My aims are:

- The user doesn't need to be clever or patient enough to install and
configure postgres to support TCP/IP connections. This is unnecessarily
difficult on most distros:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Initial_Postgres_Configuration
The file-opening experience would then be the same as when opening a
FileMaker or Access file.

- I can make choices about the default connection policy without
interfering with the connection policy wanted by other applications that
use postgres, or with the default policy wanted (understandably) by the
disto packager.
- The Glom "system" (the database plus the UI description, etc) can be
copied and started on a different computer easily.

- The first user to open a Glom file becomes the server for that .glom
file, and other users connect to that first client (the server). This is
how FileMaker works. A central server, for better performance, is then
an extra choice that can be used when wanted.
--
Murray Cumming
murrayc@murrayc.com