Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key?
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 14:00 -0700, Scott Ribe wrote:
> > You would update the address, the address id wouldn't change. If you
> > want to keep track of old addresses you would keep an archive table
> > associated with the user.id.
>
> But what about historical data that referenced the address? If you move
> today, I still want to know where I shipped last week's orders.

As I mentioned, you can use an archive table, or you could have a column
in the order table that references the sale_to or ship_to address id.

There are actually many different ways to do this. For example:

insert a new address, and update the users table to the new address_id.
The new address has a column called active(boolean). Thus all your sales
orders would reference an inactive, but valid address for that sale.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/