Re: bigint integers up to 19 digits. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jochen Erwied
Subject Re: bigint integers up to 19 digits.
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thursday, February 4, 2010, 7:51:37 PM you wrote:

> it is an identifier and is always a number and is used in grouping and
> querying. I thought I would lose performance if it is text vs an
> integer/double field.

Maybe using 'numeric(19)' instead of bigint is an alternative. I actually
don't know how these numbers are stored internally (some kind of BCD, or as
base-100?), but IMHO they should be faster than strings, although not as
fast as 'native' types.

--
Jochen Erwied     |   home: jochen@erwied.eu     +49-208-38800-18, FAX: -19
Sauerbruchstr. 17 |   work: joe@mbs-software.de  +49-2151-7294-24, FAX: -50