Re: profiling PL/pgSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From
Subject Re: profiling PL/pgSQL?
Date
List pgsql-performance
> am  Fri, dem 03.11.2006, um  3:12:14 -0800 mailte Drew Wilson folgendes:
>> I have 700 lines of non-performant pgSQL code that I'd like to
>> profile to see what's going on.
>>
>> What's the best way to profile stored procedures?
>
> RAISE NOTICE, you can raise the aktual time within a transaction with
> timeofday()

Of course you only have very small values of "best" available with
plpgsql debugging.

There's a GUI debugger from EnterpriseDB I believe, but I've no idea how
good it is. Any users/company bods care to let us know?

It's an excellent debugger (of course, I'm a bit biased).

We are working on open-sourcing it now - we needed some of the plugin features in 8.2.

As Jonah pointed out, we also have a PL/pgSQL profiler (already open-sourced but a bit tricky to build).  The profiler tells you how much CPU time you spent at each line of PL/pgSQL code, how many times you executed each line of code, and how much I/O was caused by each line (number of scans, blocks fetched, blocks hit, tuples returned, tuples fetched, tuples inserted, tuples updated, tuples deleted).

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I seem to remember that it spits out an XML report that you can coax into a nice HTML page via the XSLT.

The plugin_profiler needs to be converted over to the plugin architecture in 8.2, but that's not a lot of work.

                -- Korry

--
  Korry Douglas    korryd@enterprisedb.com
  EnterpriseDB      http://www.enterprisedb.com