Re: High CPU Load - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jérôme BENOIS
Subject Re: High CPU Load
List pgsql-performance
Hi All,

    I reply to me, we solved a CPU Load problem. We had an external batch
who used an expensive SQL view and took 99% of the CPU.

    Thanks all for you help !

                    -------------------

    I started the HAPlatform open-source project is a part of Share'nGo
Project, this goal is define all documentation and scripts required to
install and maintain High Available platform.

Tow platform are targeted :

        * LAPJ : Linux Apache PostgreSQL Java

        * LAMP : Linux Apache MySQL PHP

    The first documentation is here (it's my postgres configuration) :

http://sharengo.org/haplatform/docs/PostgreSQL/en/html_single/index.html

Cheers,
Jérôme.
--
Open-Source : http://www.sharengo.org
Corporate : http://www.argia-engineering.fr

Le vendredi 22 septembre 2006 à 09:43 +0200, Jérôme BENOIS a écrit :
> Hi, Markus,
>
> Le mardi 19 septembre 2006 à 15:09 +0200, Markus Schaber a écrit :
> > Hi, Jerome,

> > > It default :
> > >
> > > #commit_delay = 01   # range 0-100000, inmicroseconds
> > > #commit_siblings = 5 # range 1-1000
> >
> > You should uncomment them, and play with different settings. I'd try a
> > commit_delay of 100, and commit_siblings of 5 to start with.
> >
> > > I plan to return to previous version : 7.4.6 in and i will reinstall all
> > > in a dedicated server in order to reproduce and solve the problem.
> >
> > You should use at least 7.4.13 as it fixes some critical buts that were
> > in 7.4.6. They use the same on-disk format and query planner logic, so
> > they should not have any difference.
> >
> > I don't have much more ideas what the problem could be.
> >
> > Can you try to do some profiling (e. G. with statement logging) to see
> > what specific statements are the one that cause high cpu load?
> >
> > Are there other differences (besides the PostgreSQL version) between the
> > two installations? (Kernel, libraries, other software...)
> nothing.
>
> I returned to the previous version 7.4.6 in my production server, it's
> work fine !
>
> And I plan to reproduce this problem in a dedicated server, and i will
> send all informations in this list in the next week.
>
> I hope your help for solve this problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Jérôme.
>
> > HTH,
> > Markus