Re: postgresql rising - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Kelly
Subject Re: postgresql rising
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:10 -0500, Tony Caduto wrote:
> Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > I have seen a steady progressive rise in the number of postgresql
> > related jobs and the quality of those jobs.   Major companies are
> > apparently rolling out critical infrastructure on postgresql...Vonage
> > is one example:
> >
> That is good news, I wish there where some of those Postgresql jobs in
> the Milwaukee area :-)
> Don't want to move to NJ :-(
>
> It does seem to be a grass roots kind of thing as the major corp
> managers have no clue what Postgresql is.
> For a high level corp manager all they ever hear about is MS SQL Server,
> Oracle and DB2, and the more it costs the more they think it is what
> they need :-)

Hmmm...
I'm broke.

I'd be happy to wrap a sexy, colorful, pointy-clicky installer around
postgreSQL and then market the whole package to the corporate world with
5 and 6 figure annual site deployment fees. I'll even funnel half back
into core devel.
It wouldn't even be the exploitation of profound stupidity, it would be
catering to the needs and desires of the corporate customer.

It's not about the product, it's about the marketing. Look what MS has
done with the often Alpha Dung they produce. Imagine that machinery
behind a sound and superior product. Boggles the mind, dunnit?

I wonder if the Advocacy crowd have thought about an outright sale of
marketing rights....

Andy