Re: Reducing data type space usage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Reducing data type space usage
Re: Reducing data type space usage  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, R, 2006-09-15 kell 19:18, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> No, it'll be a 1-byte header with length indicating that no bytes
> >> follow,
>
> > Well, in my idea, 10000001 would be 0x01.  I was going to use the
> > remaining 7 bits for the 7-bit ascii value.
>
> Huh?  I thought you said 00000001 would be 0x01, that is, high bit
> clear means a single byte containing an ASCII character.

why not go all the way, and do utf-7 encoded header if hi bit is set ?

or just always have an utf-8 encoded header.

> You could
> reverse that but it just seems to make things harder --- the byte
> isn't a correct data byte by itself, as it would be with the other
> convention.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hannu Krosing
Database Architect
Skype Technologies OÜ
Akadeemia tee 21 F, Tallinn, 12618, Estonia

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com