Re: OK, does anyone have any better ideas? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OK, does anyone have any better ideas?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Edmar Wiggers" <edmar@brasmap.com> writes:
> One possible idea for SQL integration: can one use index access-method
> functions to query the FTS outside the database?

Hm.  In principle an index access method can do whatever it darn
pleases.  In practice, though, I think the main problem with making an
index type for FTS is simply learning *how* to make a new index access
method.  (No one currently associated with the project has ever done it
--- the four existing types all date back to Berkeley, I believe.)
Seems to me that that learning curve is not going to be made any easier
by pushing the guts of the information outside of Postgres ... if
anything, it'd probably be harder because the existing examples of index
access methods would become less relevant.
        regards, tom lane

PS: by the way, do any of the rest of you find that Mark's email address
doesn't work?  Everytime I send him something, it sits in my mail queue
for five days and then bounces with Name server: mohawksoft.com.: host
name lookup failure.  The DNS server's syslog entries look like
Dec  9 11:34:56 sss2 named[10258]: ns_resp: query(mohawksoft.com) All possible A RR's lame
Sorry to use up list bandwidth on this, but I have no other way to reach
him --- apparently hub.org's nameserver is less picky than bind
8.2.2.p7?