Re: Optimizer improvements: to do or not to do? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Say42
Subject Re: Optimizer improvements: to do or not to do?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Optimizing on the basis of only one example is seldom a good idea...
> and I think you are falling into that trap by supposing that there
> is a "usual case".

Perhaps I am wrong but I assume normalization is a usual case, small
master (parent) tables are not very rare also.
Yes, my example is unusual but it is _real_ and demonstrate PG
optimizer inaccuracy. Why don't we make PG optimizer more close to
reality if we can? Is it so needless and I make a mountain out of a
molehill?