Re: A couple thoughts about btree fillfactor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: A couple thoughts about btree fillfactor
List pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, E, 2006-07-10 kell 12:36, kirjutas Tom Lane:

> 3. What should the minimum fillfactor be?  The patch as submitted
> set the minimum to 50% for all relation types.  I'm inclined to
> think we should allow much lower fillfactors, maybe down to 10%.
> A really low fillfactor could be a good idea in a heavily updated
> table --- at least, I don't think we have any evidence to prove
> that it's not sane to want a fillfactor below 50%.

Sure 50% is way too big as an lower limit. We may even want to have
pages that have only 1 tuple in heavy update cases.

So perhaps we should set the minimum to 1% or even 0.1% and apply
similar logic you suggested for btree pages above, that is stop adding
new ones when the threasold is reached.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing