Postgresql fail as boot time - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From gibboda
Subject Postgresql fail as boot time
Date
List pgsql-novice
I have a Fedora 5 System with Postgresql 8.1.4 installed.  Manully
starting postgresql is fine but I get an error message with I try to
setup postgresql to start at boot time.

I am using the linux script under the contrib/start-scripts when I
downloaded and built postgresql.
manually executing this script works, but it fails at boot with the
logs stating this:

LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146, limited by database
"postgres"
FATAL:  lock file "postmaster.pid" already exists
HINT:  Is another postmaster (PID 2561) running in data directory
"/usr/local/pgsql/data"?
LOG:  received smart shutdown request
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2006-06-02 08:36:50 EDT

I can not determine why this message is occuring.