Re: Dump/restore comments only? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ragnar
Subject Re: Dump/restore comments only?
List pgsql-sql
On mán, 2006-02-27 at 13:56 +1100, Bath, David wrote:

> There have been a number of times when I've wanted to ignore everything
> in a dump file apart from comments.  I am interested not just in comments
> for tables/views/columns but constraints, indices and functions as well.
>
> Many of my comments are multi-line and often resemble manpages, so a
> simple grep for '^COMMENT ON' will not work for me.
>
> Has anyone got a script/view in SQL that will generate fully-qualified
> COMMENT ON statements from the pg_catalog/information_schema, a
> sed|awk|perl script to munge the ascii file produced by pg_dump,
> or even pg_dump undocumented options that might help me?

You might find it simpler to do this if you use the
custom format. Something like :

pg_dump -Fc mydat > mydat.dump
pg_restore -l mydat.dump > mydat.toc
grep COMMENT mydat.toc > mydat.comments.toc
pgrestore -L mydat.comments.toc mydat.dump

gnari