Re: ORDER BY CASE ... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mario Splivalo
Subject Re: ORDER BY CASE ...
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 16:39 +0100, Mathieu Arnold wrote:

> | I tought I'd get differently sorted data, since in the first query I
> | said 5=5, and in second I said 5=6.
>
> Well, no, in the first, the result of the CASE is 2, and in the second 3, it
> means that for every line, it'll sort using "2" as value for the first, and
> "3" for the second query.

Yes, I realized just a second ago that when ORDER BY is CASED, numbers
aren't the column numbers, but the integers itself.

It works like this:

ORDER BY (CASE WHEN 5=5 THEN "from"::varchar ELSE
receiving_time::varchar) DESC.

Is there a way to have DESC/ASC inside of a CASE?
Mario
--
Mario Splivalo
Mob-Art

"I can do it quick, I can do it cheap, I can do it well. Pick any two."